21 March 2016

Valter Sirk: wines from the Slovenian Collio (Brda)

I tasted ribolla and tokaj, but Sirk is much more than this!

In the Collio of Gorizia, the Sirk family has been producing wine for quite a few generations, but since 1991 they started producing their own products, by creating the wine company Valter Sirk.
It was a great pleasure to chat to Valter Sirk.
I tried his ribolla and his tokaj, so I then asked him if these were the wines that best represented him.
“Yes, ribolla represents tradition, it’s a local grape-vine and it’s also the one we grow the most, instead tokaj (or friulano) is a very aromatic grape, for which we had to fight for, and now it has been registered with the name jakot (symmetrical to tokaj). Both wines are made with a maceration process of 12 hours which gives them colour and aroma, then they are left to ferment for 9 months in contact with the dregs (80% in steel, and the remaining 20% in wood), and the last step is a period of 6 months in which it perfects in the bottle.
What other grapevines do you grow?
“Malvasia, pinot bianco, chardonnay, pinot grigio and sauvignon, and from the first three I created a blend called Tereza bianco, while as for the blend Tereza rosso I use a base of merlot with some cabernet and malbec.”
Malbec is definitely not a grapevine of this area.
“Definitely not, I planted it in ’92, I had started my company just the year before and I wanted some grape-vines of French origin, because I had been there often and I learnt lots of thing regarding wine while I was there.”

8
How would you describe your wines?
“They are wines that are quite sapid and mineral, a good structure that allows them to last long and smooth out in time. For example I have a line called Selezione of which I produce small quantities, and only in the good years, with chardonnay, pinot bianco and merlot that I sell only 4-5 years after the harvest, they are very fine wines that without loosing structure and body can evolve and last for years.”
Will I see you at the Vinitaly?
“Yes, I’ll be there with the 2014 production, of which I’m very proud of. The wines aren’t as strong but quite sapid, fresh and aromatic. If you come to Vinitaly stop by at my stand, I have a sauvignon with summery scents of white peach that you must taste! I’ll see you there!
sauvignon

A brake and a sip of wine:
Ribolla 2013 (13% alcohol): it’s structure is very nice, a lovely light straw coloured yellow with a greenish reflection, a delicate perfume, pleasantly refined with floral and fruity scents of citrus and lime. At the end you feel the mineral taste, almost salty.
Jakot (t.f.) 2013 (13% alcohol): a darker straw colour. An energy that recalls white flours, elder flour and tomato leaves, with a background of stony mineral taste.
These perfumes are then recaptured in the taste, as it starts with a nice fresh flavour and ends with a hint of almond.

Mademoiselle du vin

18

The post is in:

Share this blog post

You might also be interested in:

A party at the Atlantida Boutique Hotel

A weekend of wellness, good food and a lot of fun
I returned to Rogaška Slatina. I had been there some time ago, remember? This time I decided to spend a…
Read more

New year’s resolutions (2/2)

MissClaire’s 10 resolutions for a great 2017!
We had shared the first 5 new year’s resolutions dedicated to travel and fine dining … now I’ll tell you…
Read more

A tour of the northeast: off to discover healthy living in Slovenia

A weekend in Puklavec will restore you!
You know I love exclusive locations, but a few of you have asked me to find some low budget places…
Read more

The Osmize of the Karst: all the colours of tradition

Follow the busch branch with the red arrow to discover cold cuts, cheeses and home-made wine
The Osmiza is a sort of tradition in our territory, so I’ll tell you a little about their history (I’ll…
Read more
1 2 3 25